Breadcrumbs in Joomla is something we can’t miss in joomla site set up. It show up as default and show in the default way. In the most case, we will want to customise it, but sometimes, we just need to hide it or do some extra settings for it.
If you don’t know what is Breadcrumbs in Joomla, you can look at the above image to see the area in red rectangle is the Breadcrumbs.
In this article, I will show you all of tips, techniques and settings what can help you control Breadcrumbs as you like. Now let ‘s get started with Breadcrumbs in Joomla.
1. Removing “You are here” in your Joomla 3 Breadcrumbs
If you are using the breadcrumbs module in Joomla 3, you may have noticed that the breadcrumbs’ pathway begins with a You are here pinpoint. If you don’t want this pinpoint to show, you can disable it within the breadcrumb module’s settings.
Ok, now I will show you How to disable the “You are here” feature:
– Login to your Joomla 3 dashboard
– In the top menu, click Extensions and then click Module Manager.
– Find and click on your breadcrumb module
– Under the Module tab (or Basic Options tab, depending on your version of Joomla), find the Show “You are here” setting. Click No next to it, and then click the Save button in the top left of the page.
– After saving the changes, the pinpoint no longer shows in the breadcrumbs once the Show “You are here” setting is disabled. You will see it like the image below:
2. Hiding “Home” in your Joomla 3 Breadcrumbs
To remove “Home” in your Joomla 3 breadcrumbs, let ‘s follow these steps:
– Login to your Joomla 3 dashboard
– In the top menu, click Extensions and then click Module Manager
– Find and click on your Breadcrumbs module.
– Under the Module tab (or Basic Options tag, depending on your version of Joomla), you’ll find the Show Home setting. By default it is set to Yes. To change this setting, simply click either Yes / No, and then click the Save button in the top left of the page.
Below you can see how this setting will affect your breadcrumbs:
3. Text Entry for Home – Joomla 3 Breadcrumb settings
Text for Home Entry: This text will be shown as Home entry. If the field is left empty, it will use the default value from the mod_breadcrumbs.ini language file
To change the “Home” text in your breadcrumbs, let ‘s do the same steps as (1) to go to Breadcrumbs settings page.
Find the Text for Home Entry setting. Depending on your Joomla version, it should be under either the Module tab or the Basic Settings tab.
Enter a new value for Text for Home Entry, and then click the Save button at the top of the page.
In our testing, we entered blog. You can see in the screenshots below how this changed our breadcrumbs to blank:
4. Show Last – Hiding the current page in breadcrumbs
In joomla settings it will control Show/Hide the last element in the Pathway.
Breadcrumbs are intended to show you where within the site you are, and to allow you to easily explore other areas of the site. If you are on a page named Commonly asked questions, showing this in the breadcrumbs may not be a benefit as you already know you’re on that page.
In Joomla 3, you can configure the breadcrumbs not to show the current page the user is on. This is controlled by the Show Last setting. Below, we’ll show you how to toggle this setting on/off.
To control it, you login to browse to Bradcrums area again.
Find the Show Last setting. Depending on your Joomla version, it should be under the Module tab for the Basic Settings tab.
Click either Yes or No, and then click the Save button at the top of the page.
And if you want to hide it, then choose No, it will show the result like screenshot below:
5. Text Separator – Joomla 3 Breadcrumb settings
The separator is something the most of you will need to customise it.
To do the customization, you visit the setting tab for Breadcrumbs again.
Find the Text Separator setting. Depending on your Joomla version, it should be under either the Module tab or the Basic Settings tab.
Enter a value here, such as a forward slash. Then save the change by clicking Save in the top menu.
Below are screenshots showing how the change we made affected our breadcrumbs: